Romance might happen every day. Lust might even happen every day. But finding true love?
About as rare as finding the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe.
A recipe that you want in your recipe box forever, that you don’t need to change or alter to make better. A recipe that stands the test of time. One which you are proud to bring to family gatherings and there is never a crumb left on the plate. A chocolate chip cookie so good that on a bad day just the smell emitting from the oven elicits a smile.
Luckily for me, I have both. And since I’m so generous I’ll share one of them with you. But hands off the other one ladies.
- 3/4 C butter at room temperature
- 1 C packed brown sugar
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 C all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C slightly rounded oatmeal
- 1 C dark chocolate chips
- Bake in moderate oven until done.
- Ok, ok… if you need a little more instruction then the recipe handed down to me here you go:
- Cream the butter and sugars until lightly fluffy. One at a time, beat in the eggs until well incorporated. Beat in the vanilla for about 30 seconds.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and oatmeal.
- Add to the butter mixture and beat until just combined.
- Add in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Put the dough in the fridge and let sit for at least 24 hours before rolling the dough into about 30 cookies.
- Bake about 9-12 minutes at 350 degrees.
- I got ahold of 72% cocoa baking feves last time I was in Montreal. They make the most amazing cookies! Beware though: if you are not a fan of dark chocolate the cookies might not be sweet enough for you. If you want to make your own purchase of baking feves try Valrhona Araguani Dark 72% Cocoa from Venezuela. Not that I would know (cough, cough) but you can order from chocosphere.com. They deliver the massive 6.6 lb box right to your door complete with a cool pack.
- If you really, truly don’t like dark chocolate (booo on you) then you may (grudgingly) substitute your favorite, but inferior, milk chocolate chips.
- Sorry for the long absence in posts. In addition to having the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe and true love I am lucky enough that my parents let me join them for a few weeks at their condo in the sun.