I am a private, and sometimes to my detriment, I’m sure, proud woman. I am determined to keep up “appearances” and never show my achilles heel. I don’t like to show even the tiniest hint of vulnerability and I take comfort in hiding behind a layer of cashmere armor, movie star sized sunglasses, and high heels. Anyone who gets a glimpse of my ratty t-shirt underneath my Inhabit cardigan should realize it’s a decision I do not take lightly.
I’m not exactly known for my warm and loving emotions, those that are often required to spoil someone. I’m all pointy elbows and sharp toenails which suits my personality. I think people who don’t know me, view me as distant, maybe even cold, which often takes me by surprise because I feel anything but distant. It is definitely a coping mechanism, not to let people “see” me. Sometimes it saves me a world of hurt, but sometimes I just really want a hug. Even if you do get jabbed with my pointy elbows and flailing arms.
So next time I’m concerned with keeping up appearances, I am going to toss together a batch of fresh rhubarb muffins with a sparkly streusel topping (huh… rhubarb is kinda tart and sour upon first bite. But spend a bit of time with it, sweeten it up with some sugar and you’ll love it forever.) and pick a bunch of fresh lilacs to pretty up my kitchen island and invite over a friend. I might even toss aside the cashmere cardigan because there are days where you just need a warm embrace.
Rhubarb Muffins with Strawberries & Orange
makes 12 muffins
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter (<ost recipes call for more butter. Use your discretion.)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Using your hands, combine all ingredients until they resemble coarse meal. Some small pea sized lumps are okay.
- Store in the fridge until you’re ready to top the muffins.
- 2 C chopped rhubarb
- 1 C chopped strawberries
- 2 C all purpose flour, divided
- 1 large orange, zested and juiced
- 1/2 C milk (I used non-fat, but anything will work)
- 1/4 C butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 C sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners and preheat your oven to 375F.
- Combine the rhubarb and strawberries with 1/4 of flour.
- Zest and juice the orange. You will need 1/2 C of fresh orange juice.
- Whisk together the egg, orange zest and juice, and vanilla.
- Whisk together the remaining 1 3/4C flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir together the flour mix and egg/orange mix. Once just combined, stir in the butter and the milk. Then stir in the fruit.
- Divide the batter between 12 muffin cups and top with the streusel mixture.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing from the muffin tins (don’t want to burn yourself!) and then cool completely on your wire baking rack.
- These muffins do not store well because of the topping (it becomes soggy the second day). I would suggest inviting your closest friends over and enjoying the muffins together… in your 1998 “Yes You Can!” t-shirt and your not-so-sexy-butt, worn out sweats. Ponytail optional.
- If you don’t eat the muffins the first day, simply wrap them individually in plastic wrap and toss them in the freezer.
The muffins sound very yummy, will have to try them soon and have you in with us both wearing ratty clothes , with love mom
I look forward to it!
This really brings back some memories of missed friend. I love the way you express yourself in this blog. You really must have a kind heart.
Your kind words are appreciated.